This past spring educators all over the world found themselves in a situation no one would have ever predicted. Teachers had little to no time to prepare the rest of the school year online and sharing resources was crucial. Student engagement was a major concern for everyone and I was finding that when I would assign instructional videos, some students were not watching them and just going straight to the posted assignment. Enter EdPuzzle . I had used EdPuzzle so many times before as station activities, but I was finding another purpose during distance learning. EdPuzzle allows teachers to see which students are watching/completing the instructional videos, as well as check for understanding. When students see a teacher assigned an instructional video on EdPuzzle, they know their watch history is monitored and are more likely to watch the video, which is so important when it comes to understanding new co...
"Rethinking Popular Culture and Media" is a collection of chapters that aim to challenge the information we have been putting in front of children in schools. These insightful chapters were put together by Elizabeth Marshall and Ozlem Sensoy in 2016. When I was looking through the different chapters, one specifically caught my eye. "Politics of Children's Literature" by Herbert Kohl. When I read the title I was expecting to read about the filtration of information in children's books. This is what was discussed but with a very familiar story. The story of Rosa Parks. Kohl outlines the classic story that all children are told when it comes to Rosa Parks and how she refused to give up her seat to a white man. In Kohl's outline, he challenges the classic narrative with what actually transpired and what is kept from children's literature. Herbert Kohl presents the classic story of Rosa Parks that students are frequently told in classrooms...
Simon Sinek delivers a powerful speech about leadership, values, and human behavior in his TED Talk, "How Great Leaders Inspire Action" . He discusses what makes certain brands and leaders "innovative" using his "Golden Circle" visual (as shown below). According to Sinek, the direction in which brands and leaders communicate (inside, out or outside, in) determines their success. A leader will be more successful when they go from their "Why", their beliefs, and their purpose rather than "What" their selling or doing. When Sinek was describing the idea that human behavior is driven from beliefs and purpose, I agreed with him. When someone feels like their beliefs are being validated by a company or leader, they are going to follow through and support that group or person. He discusses the nature of human biology and how the brain works in the same way this Golden Circle operates in the sense that behavior is only driven from be...
Comments
Post a Comment